Topsfield Town Hall
Topsfield, MA



The Topsfield Town Hall has been a landmark in downtown Topsfield since it was constructed in 1873. It was designed by John F. Potter in the Second Empire style, with an elaborate front fašade featuring steeply pitched roofs with polychrome slate, a clock tower, wood detailed to imitate rusticated stone, and a porch surrounded by a cascade of wooden steps. The building has served as the seat of government in Topsfield since its construction; the original design housed town offices on the first floor and a municipal auditorium above. In more recent years, the auditorium has been converted to office uses, with storage on the balcony.

Adams & Smith and Finch&Rose were engaged to develop an assessment of the historic building envelope, with recommendations for rehabilitation and repairs, and a window assessment with drawings and specifications werethe basis for a Preservation Projects Fund grant application. That application was approved, and the team completed construction documents and administered construction for window restoration and repairs to the front fašade, including replacement sash for three large second floor windows.

Cost: $150,000

Categories:
Historic Preservation
Institutional