Wadleigh Memorial Library
Milford, NH



The Wadleigh Memorial Library was built in a Georgian revival style in 1950. In 1986, a large addition was built to the east of the original building. As the town population grew and demand for services increased, the library, even with the addition, became for too small to serve the community needs.

The final design proposes a partial demolition of the 1986 addition. In its place, a two story addition will house adult services and collections. To the east, a new wing will house the Children’s Room on the main level and a multipurpose room on the ground floor. Renovations of the existing building will house Young Adults off the Reference area in the addition, local history collections, and meeting space.

The exterior of the addition has a red brick hip roofed mass harmonizing with the original building, but wrapping around a central zone that opens up to the community and daylight with curtainwall at the entrance and skylights over the Reference area.. A new entrance plaza provides access to the building and outdoor program space. The existing parking area is replanned to expand parking and improve accessibility.br>
The project is planned for a phased implementation, with the Children’s Rom wing and partial renovation of the existing building as the first phase.

Area: 31,000 Sq Ft

Categories:
Libraries
Institutional