|Unitarian Universalist Church|
|The original Unitarian Universalist Church sanctuary dates from 1830. It is a fine example of Asher Benjamin inspired Greek Revival architecture, with a commanding presence on the historic green at the center of Sherborn, and forms the centerpiece of the Sherborn Historic District. A classroom wing was added across the back of the sanctuary in 1969, and a small addition at the north end was built in 1998. The congregation has grown greatly in recent years, and the educational and meeting space had become totally inadequate for church programs.|
The design adds a new classroom wing at the south end of the 1969 wing. A new, fully accessible entrance to the new wing opens into a parlor that creates a new gathering and circulation space for church activities. A new broad main stair provides direct access to the ground floor meeting room, Unity Hall, and more opportunities for social interaction. It also creates a new multipurpose hall, with double doors opening up to a terrace on the east and connecting the education wing to the playground area beyond.
The new elements draw on the Greek Revival style and detail of the original building, giving them a presence and dignity appropriate to the mission of the church and giving a greater presence to Unity Hall and the new entrance.
Area: 5,850 Sq Ft