|Auburn Public Library|
|The Auburn Public Library has been a landmark in downtown Auburn since 1904. Designed by William Miller of Portland, it is a romantic Richardsonian building with turrets, dormers and Flemish bond brickwork. Later additions and renovations had been made, but by the 1990’s the need for a substantial addition was apparent. A 1998 study by Nolan Lushington identified a need for more than double the space available.|
The final design triples the area of the library to 30,000 square feet. An extensive new addition provides open plan space arranged around a central browsing area along a north/south axis. The browsing collection, Children’s Room and fiction are housed in the addition, and a periodicals reading room and program room occupy the original building. The second floor houses Reference and non-fiction, with the administrative offices and the Historical Collection in the old building. Meeting rooms and a cafe are on the ground floor.
The exterior recalls and defers to the architecture of the original building. A new arcaded entrance opens to Spring Street, and the Children’s Room wing presents a playful response to the original facade on Court Street.
(Richard Smith was the project architect for Stahl Associates and Burt Hill)
Area: 30,000 Sq Ft