|Hills Memorial Library|
|The Hills Memorial Library was given to the town of Hudson by the Hills family in 1909. Built of rubble stone with a clay tile roof, it has been a town landmark for almost a hundred years. The town has long since outgrown the library, and temporary facilities in the parking lot have housed almost half the collection.
The proposed design calls for a two level facility of about 31,000 square feet. The upper level contains adult services, organized around a skylit gallery from the new parking lot entrance to the center of the old building. On the lower level, the Children’s Room stretches along the southeast side of the plan with outdoor play and program space adjacent. A ground floor entrance provides direct access to the Children’s Room and a 175 seat meeting room.
The materials for the expansion utilize the palette of the original building- rubble stone and wood, plus wood shingles. The roof is painted metal with a tone similar to the original clay tile. The old building will be carefully restored, with new building systems, preserving it as a critical element in the streetscape of downtown Hudson.
Area: 31,000 Sq Ft