|Springfield Library Rotunda|
|The Springfield City Library is a Carnegie library built in 1912 to the designs of Edward Tilton. It is an essay in the Beaux Arts grand manner, with a white Vermont marble fašade fronting on State Street; on the west it fronts the Quadrangle at the center of the Springfield Library and Museum Association facilities. |
Stahl Asociates undertook a study in association with Caolo and Bieniek, the executive architect for the project, to rethink the operations of the library. A comprehensive plan was developed, reorganizing the departments of the library and reclaiming closed stack space for public functions. The first phase of construction restored the rotunda at the center of the building with a Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Projects grant. This work included a new circulation desk, restoration of finishes, restoration of a leaded glass dome with artificial daylighting above, and new lighting. The second phase, which implements the reorganization and addresses a number of infrastructure issues, was completed in 2003. It includes a new fiction and non-print media area, a computer training lab, and enhanced staff facilities, as well as restored finishes and new lighting.
(In association with Caolo & Bieniek, Springfield, MA, architect of record)